Saturday 3 November 2012

My Experience with the Apple iPhone 5 [TDIS]

This comes a little late in the day, but I would like to share my experience with the new iPhone 5, less about the phone and more about the experience of being a customer.

Let me share a little about my fascination with the iPhone first. I purchased a iPhone 3GS about 20 months ago and it worked like a charm. A freak accident and the phone was reduced to pieces.

I promised myself to wait it out till the iPhone 5 comes out since it made little sense to invest over the iPhone 4S, given that the iPhone 5 was around the corner.

The iPhone 5 I had purchased is partnered with a new entrant in the CDMA network for Apple, United States. I had a colleague who was travelling to the U.S buy it for me. As expected, I was ecstatic to hold it when he got back with the phone.

On first look, I was impressed by the beautiful design that runs through the iPhone and the weight that makes you take a second look to realize that you are indeed holding a phone! Took me a while to identify that a few trademark features such as the Messages, iMessages or FaceTime over cellular were failing to activate.

The Issue…

Turns out there was an issue with the way the phone was unlocked by the carrier it was purchased from, given that it is relatively new in partnering with Apple. It's something for a phone to not impress you, but to impress you and fail at doing the simpler things is a little confusing.

I scourged through Apple forums to find that this issue was being faced by a few other users who had purchased it from the same provider.

I have always believed Apple to be a company that didn't care much about market sentiments or the competition it faces from other firms. Here I was having a beast of phone that was failing to send SMSes.

I cut through the hierarchy of contacting Apple support in the United States first and then taking the escalation process. I wrote an email to Tim Cook, CEO, Apple Inc (which I found out with a Google search) and Phil Schiller. I even followed it through with a reminder stating my plight with the phone.

The Response from Apple

Out of the blue, I get a call from their customer care in Ireland stating that their call is over my emails to Tim Cook and that they were here to help.

It took Apple less than a days work to fix my problem and then follow up to ensure I was happy and that their direct lines were available in future for any other issues i may face.

Being a Indian consumer, my expectations from public & private companies are near zero. I have always been a Apple enthusiast given that we choose our favorite products by individual tastes, but to find that the company you are so passionate about is as passionate about you is simply marvelous! My romance with Apple products has just got better.

Editor's Note: This post is part of our TDIS ( Thank Devil It's Sunday) feature, where we publish casual and personal posts. You can read other TDIS posts here.

-- This Post My Experience with the Apple iPhone 5 [TDIS] is Published on Devils Workshop .


Related posts:





ifttt
Put the internet to work for you. via Personal Recipe 796541

No comments:

Post a Comment